8.21.2008

self love # 3

"Here," she said, "in this here place, we flesh; flesh that weeps, laughs; flesh that dances on bare feet in grass. Love it. Love it hard... And O my people they do not love your hands. Those they only use, tie, bind, chop off and leave empty. Love your hands! Love them. Raise them up and kiss them. Touch others with them, pat them together, stroke them on your face 'cause they don't love that either. You got to love it, you!"

~Baby Suggs, from
Beloved


massage training helped me gain a new appreciation for hands and touch.

according to my mother, i have my grandmother's hands...that's always fascinated me since those are the only parts of her i remember with any certainty.





these days, i feel like they spend a lot of time covered in shea butter, palm oil, or dishwater.




but they're mine, and i love them.

4 comments:

TruEssence said...

Beautiful piece from Beloved! Great book as well as movie!Smiling at the hands covered with shea butter and palm oil. I use shea butter on my hands too. When I am at my mother in law's house I grab her palm oil and cover me hands with it. She uses it on her hands all the time. Beautiful hands sis!:)

I felt inspired today by this post and your self-love posts.
Peace

TruEssence said...

Smiling at my typo.. it meant to say cover my hands with it.:)

creatrix said...

hey...thanks for stopping by.

every time i see your pics, i think, "i can't wait til i have locs again!" :-)

trE said...

and, you have very detailed beds and knuckles... i actually need to trim my nails, but i have my mother's hands which were passed down from her mother and hers before her...